Top 5 lesser known beef cuts
- Skirt Steak - Skirt is one of the most flavorful of all steaks. It is situated in the short plate section of the beef, which is the inside of the rib on the chest. There are two types of skirt: Inside and Outside. It’s a coin toss as to which is better; Inside Skirt is great because it doesn’t have as much membrane to be removed, but Outside Skirt is a little thicker and a bit less stringy. Skirt is the meat originally used for both fajitas (which means “belt” in Spanish and reflects the shape of the skirt) and Philadelphia cheese steak sandwiches. Marinade or Straight to the grill this flavorful cut is easy to grill, a has that rich flavor that you find in prime grade steaks. Also, makes the best carne asada!!
- Short Ribs - My fav is to cut them 1/4 inch flanken or korean style. Look up a asian marinade recipe, marinate all night, throw on the grill and enjoy chewing around those little bones. Flavor is a 10 of 10!!
- Tri-Tip. From the Bottom Sirloin, But on top for flavor. I like to grill it low and slow. Midwestern Seasoning all over it and throw it on, take your time, and enjoy the juicy flavor.
- Flank Steak - The Flank Steak is easily distinguished by its longitudinal grain (see photo). Marinade can penetrate Flank Steak without the meat losing its firm texture because it is relatively thin and porous. Flank has a moderate amount of fat, a great beefy flavor, and no connective tissue.Very lean, and you can find many marinade recipes that will change the flavor in different ways. Great if your watching your figure, but even better if you've already watched it and are just trying to have a great meal.
- Brisket - The brisket is the front portion of the beef breast that lies between the front legs. Brisket is the cut of choice for Texas slow-smoked, pit-cooked barbeque. When it comes down to it, a properly slow-smoked brisket is as good as it gets in the beef world.
Come on in and ask us to help with one of these "sleepers."